Monday, November 11, 2013

My inspiration...

Photography has become something of an expression for me.  When I was a young girl, my grandfather didn't want to miss a moment of us growing up. The basketball games, the special family trips.  The best photos were the before and afters! He loved having us smile for the camera before a haircut or even right before getting our braces on.  Try taking a picture of a pre-teen girl who's whole world is being turned upside down because she is one of the first in her grade to get braces!  Yep, that was me.  I still have that picture.  Not to be reminded of how crooked my teeth were, but in Boppo taking that picture, it showed how much he loved every second of being a part of my life. Each milestone whether big or small was significant to him.  His photographing time was before digital prints.  In the film era, the fun part was not even knowing what you had captured.  There was always an element of surprise to it.  Boppo would hand me an envelope labeled with my name on it filled with pictures from my baketball game last week. He would even give me doubles so if I saw a nice one of a good friend I could share it with her.

Ironic as life can be, years later by grandfather developed Alzheimer's Disease.  I don't believe in coincidences and I know everything has meaning behind it. How could this be? The grandfather that I know and loved wouldn't be able to remember all of those moments he worked so hard to capture in photos.  At some point in your life, we all are connected to this disease.  Whether it be a family member, neighbor, or distant acquaintance.  It is a hard road for the loved one and the ones that love them the most to face.  That was 2004.  And that was my first true loss.  For the first time I tasted what loss feels like.  I remember taking a picture at school the day I found out he had passed.  It was right before the Thanksgiving Football Game.  The Senior Cheerleaders were taking a picture with the Senior Football Players.  And even though I wanted nothing to do with that picture, I stayed in the group anyway.  My face was so red and puffy and when I see that photo still, I know that was the day I first truly felt painful heartbreak.

Life went on, and before I graduated high school I remember my dad saying to me in our home kitchen, "Promise me that before you graduate college, you will take a photography class in honor of your grandfather."  I will never forget that request, mainly because before I graduated college, I lost my dad.  The summer of 2008 will be one I always vividly remember.   Without going into a very long and tragic story, he was taken too soon and not a day goes by that I do not miss him. So that promise I made with my dad... I just couldn't shake.  Over the years in high school and college I would take hundreds of photos, but as I got older, there was just something more meaningful to it.

Photography became something more to me. I started seeing the camera as a looking glass.  What you see in a photo.....It is a sneak peak into how a photographer views the world.  What can be more beautiful than that? A gallery of photography art is an invitation into the world through someone else's eyes.  I am fascinated by this.  Even in the balance of a picture.  The focal point of the image can be completely opposite for two people yet both compelling shots.


So my true inspiration in all of this is love.  My father was an amazing man.  And he wanted nothing more but the best for his girls.  He always made us feel like we were capable of anything.  He always was encouraging us to "tap into our potential."  I hope I can continue to do that.  I am a work in progress. I learn something new everyday about cameras and the art of photography.  Is has truly become a journey and I am excited for all of the possibility that awaits me.  Boppo. Dad.  Thank You for always being there to capture life's most precious moments with me. I Love You.





No comments:

Post a Comment